Monday, August 23, 2010

First day of School




I just dropped Lily off at her first day of Pre-K.
I'm a sobbing mess.
I worry so much about her because she is so shy. I remember how painful it is to be shy and in a new place. I wish I could better prepare her so that she doesn't feel that.
She is so cute because she was so excited for school that she woke up extra extra early and got herself dressed right away (even her shoes & socks!) and was eating breakfast by the time I woke up at 7:15. This is the same kids that will sleep past 9 if we let her.
The morning went all good, she was still excited and happy for school until we were ready to walk out the door. I gave her her bag and told her I wanted to take a picture and she started to cry. I asked her why and she said she was missing me. It was so hard for me not to burst into tears too but I knew I needed to calm her down and my tears wouldn't have helped.
In the car we listened to music real loud and sang along so she would cheer up. I went over some last minute things with her, (like making sure that she knew to ask to go to the bathroom if she needed to rather than trying to hold it) and asked her if she remembered her teacher's names. She responded with this meek little whisper. I'm absolutely positive that she will not utter a word to anyone today.
She was really tough when we got to the classroom. She didn't cry but she was wringing her hands and holding her head down. After I signed her in, I peeked back in the room and she wasn't crying, but she was just standing around all alone in the middle, not playing or anything. I know that this is going to help her with her shyness, but watching it, knowing how hard it is for her is just so painful.
I'm excited to hear all about her day this afternoon.
So right now the house is quiet with just me and Eric, I'm gonna go try and teach him to talk to fix that problem.

(If you want a copy of either of these pictures, just email me for a copy rather than copying them from here, I blacked out the name of her school from her shirt to be web-safe)

No comments: