Friday, August 20, 2010

For Sale: Sold to Grandad

Lately I've been making these stuffed animals called Bed Fellows. I sell them online and have been getting them into some local shops and have a show next month. So, basically, I've been cranking these out.
I make them by embroidering the faces first. Lily watches and pays very close attention. She made one the other day and sold it to me for $4.50. My dad heard about this and commissioned her to make one for him. I use a disappearing ink marker to draw out the face before I stitch it. Lily did the exact same thing. I stitched one of the eyes for her because she refused to go to bed until it was finished and I can sew faster than her.
The next step is to stitch the faces onto either fur or fleece. I've got a video of this too.. just haven't charged the camera enough to upload it (oops). She is a fabulous stitcher. She totally flew solo on this.
I used to make her only stitch using the handwheel because I was afraid that she would sew her fingers. She has been obsessed with sewing for so long that I gave up and let her use the foot pedal. She isn't tall enough to sit in the chair and reach the pedal, so we have to use a box for an extension.


The next steps I didn't get pictures. I take the fabric that has a face on it and draw a shape with legs on the backside then sandwich it to another piece of fabric and sew it up. Lily did this herself also. My bed fellows don't have arms but Lily drew arms on hers. But, when she was sewing, she forgot to go on the outside and sewed over her armholes.
She turned it out herself. I had to help with getting the feet completely out.

She stuffed it and stitched up the hole by hand. Even tied the knot! This is the finished product.
Lily watches everything... she insisted on taking the photos of her creature herself. I took the one above, she took the one below.

The one she made for me, she set the price herself at $4.50, so I asked her how much Grandad was going to have to pay for this one and she casually said 20. I asked "20 what?"
"20 dollars" she said.
I laughed and asked her what she would say if Grandad thought that was too much and she said "well, he is just gonna have to save up"

I'm so proud.

No comments: