Friday, January 07, 2011

Well at least...

Yesterday I was hanging out with a friend who's youngest is the same age as Lily. I was talking to her about the doctor's concern that Eric hasn't started trying to talk yet. I was telling her that I was on the verge of getting worried myself too. She said what I was hoping that she'd say (I just needed to hear it, I think) that all kids are different and that everyone grows on his/her own schedule.... you know the rest. I whole-heartedly agree, but just in case, I've been trying to work with him more and more on making sounds and things.
My friend shared that her son (Lily's age remember... 4 1/2ish) was having serious trouble with fine motor skills. He was getting frustrated at school (even just a half day of pre-school) because of it and that she was very worried. I had never really put much thought into fine motor skills mainly because for us, it has never been an issue. So, this morning, just as a test, I gave Eric a pen and notebook just to see what he did. I gave no prompting or instruction, just handed him the pen & book and grabbed my camera to document.
I'd say, we do NOT have a problem with fine-motor skills!
So, I guess, if Eric never learns to speak, at least he will have no trouble writing down what he needs to say.

No comments: