Tuesday, July 25, 2006

11 days with baby....my boobs hurt!


Breastfeeding sucks! My nipples are so sore that they hurt constantly. Newborns have to eat every 2 to 4 hours and I am beginning to think that is all I do. Thankfully I have this great book that Missy bought for me months and months ago about breastfeeding that has a journal part and a daily chart to keep track of everything. I realized at the hospital that I was going to have to write everything down because I was constantly being asked "how long since she fed?" and I was constantly answering "uh........well......um......I think it was about..." And in order to be able to determine if she is eating enough, you need to keep track of how much she pees and poops. This journal thingy is great too because there is also a chart to keep track of everything I eat. I can't fit into any of my clothes and I am still wearing maternity clothes, so that will turn out to be useful too. At the doctor's office last Wednesday I weighed 158 pounds. Pre-pregnancy I weighed 128........I think I went way overboard on the pregnancy weight gain!
Hopefully Lily and I will get this breastfeeding technique down soon so my boobs won't hurt so much. Everything I read says that if baby "latches on" correctly than it isn't painful and then they go through the steps of a "proper Latch" but obviously we haven't gotten it down right.
Wish us luck!

1 comment:

Kelli said...

It hurt me for a while too, he was constantly sucking on them. I let him have a pacifier after like a month and a half because the doctor told me milk only came out for like 15 minutes, after I had told him that the baby would feed for like and hour. When the milk really comes in it doesn't hurt, it hurts only when there is no milk coming out. It may not even be that she isn't latched on properly, just that the milk isn't coming out fully (the let down reflex).
I remember walking through the grocery store and all the sudden my boobs would let down and i would be soaked. That was at like 1 or 2 months. Hang in there, it gets better!!!