Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Pictures & David

We went to get our pictures made and Lily was so good. She was laughing and squealing and loving the attention of the photographer. I wanted to buy them but, as I've talked about before...we are BROKE!
Luckily I can look at them online and order more down the road if we win the lottery or something.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
I also learned a lesson. Wear sleeves to photoshoots!

I haven't written about it here yet because I wasn't sure if I should or not, but I've decided to anyway because I feel that if people know that they will be more likely to understand what is going on.
I had no idea, not even a hint, until I got a call a couple of weeks ago from my brother's girlfriend. David is an alcoholic. He is now in rehab here in Florida and is working toward recovery. I felt helpless because I didn't know, I didn't see the signs and I am so far away all the time. Sherah and his high school friend Andy helped get him organized and ready to get help. I am so grateful for that. If it weren't for their thoughtfulness I don't know what would have happened.
I've put a lot of thought into this. They say that alcoholism is hereditary and I know it can destroy lives. Ross and I both have alcoholics in our families and through our years and years of working in bars we have seen quite a bit. One thing we are very naive to is the recovery process. Thankfully we have family that have been very supportive and helpful.
My cousin said something to me that really clicked. She said that being an alcoholic is sort of like having a severe allergy. That if you have it, alcohol has a different effect on you. This is an interesting concept to me and I think it makes a good bit of sense too. Ross is allergic to shellfish, if he eats it, he dies. In many cases this is the exact thing that happens to alcoholics.
I am so excited for David too. I feel like he is really at a good place in his life. He is so creative and intelligent and he will discover how much more he will be able to do with his new-found clarity. I am very hope full for him right now.
If you'd like to write to him, or send a card, email me and I'll give you the address.

No comments: