Friday, August 15, 2008

Lily's first trip to the ER

Today, just as things are getting back to normal around here after Marje left yesterday, Lily got hurt and needed stitches. Lily was teasing Zelda and running with her ball and I'm not sure if she fell on her own or if she tripped over Zelda, but she fell right into the corner of the wall. I picked her up immediately because I could tell it was a bad fall. A second later I pulled away from her expecting to see a big bump but kinda freaked out a little when I saw her entire face covered in blood.
She had a big gash on her forehead and a bloody nose. I panicked but knew I needed to keep my head so I grabbed a clean hand towel and put pressure to her head. I called Ross and he could barely understand me but I managed to get my wallet & keys and ran out the door. My stupid car had a flat tire (whole other story... brand new tires, 4 trips back to the shop and it still goes flat every 2 days!) but I didn't care. I put Lily in her seat and kept telling her that it was going to be ok and that we were going to the hospital to get the doctors to fix her boo boo. She was upset about having blood on her and kept trying to touch her head but wasn't crying or anything. By this time the bleeding had slowed a little. I drove so fast on my flat tire. The hospital is on the same street as me about a mile away but I managed to pass two cars and run a very very stale yellow light.
I was still shaking, and Lily was totally calm. They got us in right away and the nicest nurse (who was covered in glitter) came in and blew bubbles for Lily. They put this neat gel stuff on her head that once it sits for about 45 minutes, turns the area numb so they don't have to put a shot in the wound. During that time they gave Lily a pair of those socks with the rubber soles (she had no shoes on... I didn't take time to get shoes) and showed her to the playroom. She played and acted just like herself, as if nothing was wrong. By this time Ross had arrived. He went out and pumped up my tire with a bicycle pump for me! Bless him.
Then when it was time for the stitches, they wrapped Lily up in this contraption that is like a miniature version of what the paramedics use. Hard board with velcro straps all over, kinda burrito-ed her up. She didn't look happy, but she didn't cry at all.
I hate blood and needles and hospitals and all that but knew I had to be strong because I knew if she saw me panic, she might too. I kept my hand on her leg (the only part of her not in the sling) and kept eye contact with her. She was so strong. Not a peep.
They gave her a bandaid and now she is good to go.

This picture was taken tonight after her bath, you can hardly see the stitches because they are the ones that disintegrate and they are clear instead of the old-school black ones that I had when I was a kid.

2 comments:

becky said...

Poor Lily!! It looks like it hurts :O(

Jazz said...

Awww, poor Lily! Glad she is ok!